Running a business in Melbourne involves a lot of costs, from purchasing equipment to paying staff and everything in between. There are many reasons why your business may require a trailer, but it might not always be a cost-effective solution to buy one.
Depending on how often you expect to use the trailer, look for trailer hire Melbourne vendors can offer you. If you don’t have space to store your trailer or you don’t want to deal with maintenance problems, then trailer hire could be the solution you have been searching for.
If you plan on hiring a trailer, there are a few things you need to consider.
Select the Correct Trailer for the Job
There are different trailers available to hire, that each perform different functions. The task you need to complete will determine which kind of trailer you will need. Ask yourself what you need the trailer to do:
- Are you moving house?
- Will you be transporting bags for a weekend away?
- Do you need something more specific such as a refrigerated trailer to transport frozen food and beverages?
- What size do you need?
- Will the one you consider be able to handle the weight of the load?
Clarify your needs and it will be much easier to choose.
Read the Fine Print
Make sure you read and understand the terms and conditions before signing anything. There are different contracts available, based on how long you require the trailer. Normally the longer you rent it, the higher discount you will receive. Some companies offer long term trailer hire and even rent to buy options.
Ask the dealer the following important questions to determine the best option for you and to plan your budget effectively:
- Does the trailer come with insurance should something go wrong?
- How long in advance do you need to book the trailer to ensure availability?
- Will you be charged late fees if it isn’t returned on time?
- What would happen in the case the trailer needs repairs?
- Is there a replacement option available in an emergency?
Also ask when last the trailer had a service, so you know you’re getting a quality product that you can count on.
Carry Out an Inspection
Once you have found the trailer you’re looking for, you need to determine if it’s in good working order. You will need to carry out a full inspection and note down any problems:
- Look for any visible signs of wear and tear as well as any damage.
- Are there signs of corrosion and rust which could indicate a bigger problem?
- Many people forget to inspect the tyres; make sure that they are inflated correctly, and the spare tyre is also in good condition should you need it.
- It’s very important to make sure that the lights are functioning correctly and there are no short circuits when it comes to the wiring. The brake lights should also be tested.
Other things you should consider include:
- What is the weight capacity?
- How easy it will be to load and unload?
- Does it offer your load some protection against the elements?
- Can you use it on all terrains?
Types of Trailers and What They’re Used for
As mentioned before, there are many different types of trailers available for hire. The type you need will depend on the job that needs to get done. Let’s take a look at some trailers and what they are used for:
- Flatbed trailers: This type of trailer allows you to transport a large variety of items. A drawback is that it doesn’t have a cover, so you will need to cover goods with a tarp.
- Refrigerated: Enclosed and suitable to transport frozen products.
- Gooseneck: For very large loads that are heavy. It’s lower to the ground so it has less chance of tipping over.
- Customised: Made to your specific requirements and will of course cost more
- Stepdeck: Perfect for items that are tall. They are also low to the ground.
- Food service: Used at events and fairgrounds, these are fully equipped with kitchens to cook and prepare food.
- Enclosed: Don’t let the rain put your moving plans on hold. Hiring an enclosed trailer will protect your furniture from the elements and it’s perfect for moving from house to house.
Tips on How to Tow Your Trailer
Before you hire a trailer it’s important to know how to drive it safely. It’s not the same as driving just your car. If you have never driven one, you may want to practice before you set off on your journey. You should practice in an empty parking lot and get used to how the trailer handles.
Other tips include:
- Check that the trailer is roadworthy
- Understand the lingo. Look up words such as hitch and towing capacity.
- Learn the correct way to load the trailer safely.
- Make wider turns when towing a trailer.
- The stopping distance is much greater when towing a trailer.
Now you know everything you need to know about hiring a trailer and how to drive it safely. Go ahead and look for the best deal in Melbourne so your project goes off without a hitch.