A good quality kitchen knife is a must to ensure that you can cut, chop, and slice food items flawlessly without getting any cuts at the same time. If you follow the tricks and tips discussed here, you will rarely cut your finger. However, before that, you must choose your knife carefully.
First, buy a high-quality sharp knife: If you are confused about what knife to buy or considering Wusthof vs Shun knives, you are not alone. Well, both have their advantages and features.
Shun is a Japanese knife with super sharp patterned blades, while Wusthof is a German knife with thick and heavy blades. Thick and patterned blades of Shun knives are more durable and allow to cut and chop hard food items easily. However, Wusthof knives with smooth blades slip through any food item easily and make cutting and slicing a breeze.
No matter which knife you have, make sure it is always sharp. Sharp knives minimize the chances of cuts as they don’t require you to put extra pressure as compared to blunt or dull knives. Also, you must avoid touching the knife’s blade.
Choose the right type and size of the knife: There are different kinds of knives for different needs like a chef’s knife, bread knife, paring knife, steak knife, and many more. So, ensure you pick the correct knife depending on what you need to cut, slice, chop, or mince. For instance, if you need to cut a loaf of bread, you should use a bread knife and for mincing, cutting, chopping, slicing, or peeling small food items, you can use a paring knife. For cutting large pieces of meat, you can use a chef’s knife, carving knife, or meat cleavers. Most importantly, use a knife you are comfortable using.
Tips for Safe Cutting, Chopping, Slicing
- Always use a sharp knife.
- Learn the basic knife skills.
- Never cut with greasy hands.
- Curl your fingers to avoid chopping your finger.
- Always cut food away from your body.
- Use a flat and clean surface like a chopping board.
- Never hold food in your hand to cut it.
- Hold the knife and food item well to prevent them from slipping and hurting.
- Stay alert, focused, and distraction-free to prevent knife cuts.
- You can also wear cut-resistant gloves if you want.
- Ensure that the cutting area is clean and dry.
Tips for cleaning and storing knives
- Store knives in a proper way. Have a proper drawer or a knife bag, especially for big knives.
- If you have children at home, keep knives away from their reach.
- Don’t keep your knives in the sink with other utensils for washing.
- Be careful while cleaning the knife blade.
- It is a good habit to wash the knife immediately after use and store it properly after drying.
If you have the right set of kitchen knives and follow the tips discussed here for cutting, slicing, and chopping carefully, you can surely work in your kitchen like a pro and prevent cuts.