Everybody loves having a mouth full of pearly whites. However, when it comes to taking care of it, barely does anyone gives two thoughts. Thankfully, due to advanced medical research and developments, the oral medical world has several cures and methods to offer you to take care of your pearly whites.
Dental implants are one of them. If you have a bad tooth and your dentist has suggested a dental implant, this is what they would have meant. Therefore, if you are going forward with All on 4 dental implants surgery but would like to know more about it before getting on the surgery table, we have you back.
In this article, we will go through everything that you need to know about dental implants so that you know what it is that you are going in for. Then, without wasting a beat, let us get started!
What are dental implants?
Starting with the basics, let us get the ‘what’ question out of the way. Dental implants are highly advanced tooth replacement structures that can stand in for a whole tooth structure. It consists of a synthetic crown that acts like a real tooth crown and a titanium root that is fixed in the jaw bone and supports the crown. As they are biocompatible, the body does not reject them, thus, making them the best replacement tooth structure.
What benefits do dental implants offer?
Dental implants are miracle replacements that come with several benefits. Let us take a look at a few:
- They help prevent bone loss which an empty cavity can easily succumb to. By staying fixed in the space of the lost tooth, it stimulates natural bone growth.
- Similarly, they help retain the position of adjacent teeth by preventing them from shifting out of their positions.
- Also, they help prevent face sagging and premature aging as, unlike natural teeth, titanium roots are not prone to deterioration with age. Thus, even as aging sets in, your facial structure will retain— preventing any sagging.
- It helps prevent gum diseases as there is no space left by the lost/bad tooth for food pieces to stay stuck in or bacteria to grow.
- Dental implants can last you a lifetime without the need for any replacements or tweaks. Of course, only if you take proper oral health measures.
How long does the procedure take?
Getting dental implants is a prolonged procedure. Your dentist will first determine whether you are okay to get a dental implant. Once that is confirmed, your surgery will be scheduled. Depending on your circumstances, there first needs to be an extraction surgery where the existing bad tooth needs to be extracted.
Next, the implant needs to be inserted and given time to heal, which can take anywhere between 6-12 weeks. In the meantime, your surgeon might appoint meetings to check on how well you are healing. Post surgery, there might be discomfort and pain due to the surgery. You might be asked to take prescribed pain killers.
What is the cost of getting dental implants?
Single dental implants can range from $1,500 to $6,000. However, the prices may vary depending on different circumstances, which include the health condition of the patient, insurance coverage, discount programs, and so on.
What happens after getting dental implants?
Taking care of dental implants is very easy. All you need to do is take care of them like you took care of your natural teeth. This would include basic brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing. Also, make sure you pay your dentists a visit for regular check-ups.