In New York City, walking is a way of life. Each day, millions of people come out on the streets, walk to their work, home, grocery store, gym, or just to enjoy a little break from their everyday routine.
While walking is a smart choice, it would also be a safe choice if drivers in NYC become more careful. Pedestrians on the street trust the vehicles around them to follow the rules of the road. However, there are times when they get involved in accidents and car crashes.
It is a sad fact that hundreds of pedestrians in New York get hit by cars and face severe and traumatizing injuries. To avoid a pedestrian accident in NYC, we have put together a guide to explain everything you need to know about pedestrian accidents – take a note. Source
How Common are Pedestrian Accidents?
There is a 25% share of pedestrian accidents in all traffic-related injuries in NYC. These collisions tend to cause serious injuries and even send at least one out of ten victims to the hospital. Unlike vehicles, the pedestrians have no safety measures to protect themselves from the force of impact. Additionally, 30% of traffic fatalities in the city is in the account of pedestrian accidents. It leads to almost 100 deaths in a year.
Since so many pedestrian accidents occur each day, the citizens must understand the ways to prevent it, common reasons for it to occur, and actions to take if ever hit by a vehicle.
Common Reasons for Pedestrian Accidents
New York is consistently ranking at the top for pedestrian accidents. It is usually because of a high number of people walking on the streets. While some pedestrian accidents are due to the fault of pedestrians, others are due to the negligent actions of the vehicle driver.
Here are some of the most common causes of pedestrian accidents –
- The pedestrian is distracted or under the influence of drugs
- The driver is distracted or under the influence of drugs
- The motorist is riding at a high speed
- The driver fails to stop the vehicle on time
- Inappropriate weather conditions
- Left-turn collisions
- Accidents at the time when motorist are backing-up
How Drivers and Pedestrians Can Prevent Pedestrian Accidents?
Here are the ways drivers can prevent a pedestrian accident –
- Give way to pedestrians in crosswalks and at intersections.
- Do not stop at the crosswalks or intersections, blocking the way.
- Obey the mentioned speed limits.
- Drive with extra care around schools, playgrounds, and residential areas.
- Always look if there is any pedestrian, especially before a turn at a green light or a right turn at a red light.
- Never drive across the road when the light is red.
- Be extra careful while passing the stopped vehicles. They might have seen pedestrians and stopped for them.
- Pay attention while driving, Do not text and drive.
- Share the road responsibly. It is your responsibility to look for others and give a safe way.
Here are the steps pedestrians can prevent an accident –
- Follow the pedestrian road rules and cross in marked crosswalks and at intersections.
- Wait for signals to cross the road.
- Look left, right, left again, and over your shoulder for turning vehicles every time before you cross the road.
- Use sidewalks. If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic so that you see vehicles coming and let drivers see you as well.
- Pay attention to the roads and running vehicles. Do not use a mobile phone while crossing.
- Make eye contact with drivers while crossing so they can see you.
- Try to keep yourself visible after dark and in bad weather. Wear light-colored or reflective clothing.
- Don’t walk suddenly in front of traffic. Buses and trucks require a longer time to stop than other vehicles.
- Watch out while crossing the parking areas if any vehicle is backing out of parking spaces and driveways.
Hit by a Vehicle? Here are the Actions You Should Take.
First of all, get medical attention. Of course, not all pedestrian collisions result in severe injuries that require immediate medical attention. Yet, there can be some internal injuries which if left undiagnosed may result in something worse. You may not notice it early as there are no visible symptoms. Get yourself diagnosed as early as you can and protect your future. Also, follow the recommendations of the doctor.
Make sure you take a copy of the report if the police arrive at the scene. Then, call an experienced pedestrian accident attorney in New York City for consultation. They will discuss the potential claim with you. A good attorney will make you understand your options when you decide on a valid legal claim.
Find the best pedestrian accident attorney to represent you so that they can guide you for the compensation and other required legal actions properly.
If you met a pedestrian accident and want an experienced New York accident and personal injury attorney, is here to help you. We would be happy to provide you a legal consultation.